Vitamin D is produced when our body gets exposed to the sun. It is an important nutrient that is required in our body. But we often seem to neglect the importance of Vitamin D for the reason because it is freely available. You cannot buy it at any drug store. According to the nutritionist, sun exposure for 5-10 minutes 2-3 times a week provides sufficient Vitamin D to the human body. But the disappointing fact is, it cannot be stored and brakes down quickly, especially during winter. Hence, its regular intake can only suffice the requirement.
There are many astonishing facts about Vitamin D that you should know. The overview of them is as follows:
- Vitamin D doesn’t come directly with the sunlight. It is produced by our skin when it gets exposed to ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- The healing ultraviolet rays cannot penetrate through the glass windows of our cars or houses. Our skin cannot produce Vitamin D while being indoors.
- It is not sold at any drug store and therefore, there is no advertisement of it. We cannot receive an adequate amount of Vitamin D from nourishment. Sunlight is the best remedy for it.
- You must drink ten glasses of Vitamin D Fortified Milk every day to provide sufficient amount of Vitamin D to the body.
- The sufficient amount of Vitamin D can be generated in dark skin pigmentation only when they are exposed to 30times more to the sunlight than fair-skinned people.
- Vitamin D is crucial to absorb the calcium in your intestines. In the absence of sufficient Vitamin D, the intake of Calcium will be of no use.
- The sunscreen lotions that are of low SPF (SPF=8) reduces the ability to generate Vitamin D by 95%.
- It regulates the maintenance of Calcium and Phosphorous levels in the blood which are extremely crucial for the bones.
- When having a chronic deficiency, it is not possible to generate the required quantity overnight. It takes a long time to fulfil the supplement.
- The kidneys and lever activate the Vitamin D before it can be used. The kidney or lever damages impair the ability of your body to activate Vitamin D.
- On pressing firmly on your sternum, if pains, you are deficient of the sunshine vitamin.
The deficiency of Vitamin D can lead to following diseases:
- Osteoporosis which is caused due to lack of sufficient amount of Vitamin D to absorb calcium in the intestines.
- Chronic diseases like breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer and schizophrenia.
- Depression or mental sickness.
- The body gets prone to type 2 diabetes.
- Chronic skin diseases like Psoriasis.
- …And many more
The risk of developing chronic diseases like cancer and diabetes can be reduced up to 80% by exposing yourself to regular natural sunlight.