Insomnia is a sleeping disorder. Many people are found to be affected by this because of the modern lifestyle, changing food habits, stress & depression, rotational working hours, and more.
Symptoms of Insomnia:
If you are facing any of the following issues then you can ensure that you have insomnia.
- Difficulty in getting sleep
- Not getting deep sleep and often see dreams
- Getting disturbed sleep and waking up frequently
- Not feeling fresh after waking up in the morning
- Waking up too early
12 Chronic Effects of Insomnia
Sleeping is a natural process and when it gets affected it may give rise to various other severe diseases.
- Indigestion & acidity
- Headache and migraine
- Cervical Spondylitis
- Bipolar disorder
- Lack of concentration
- Urinary problem
- Nervous disorder
- Weak memory
- Cardiac problem
… and many more.
Treatment for Insomnia
When diagnosed with insomnia, it is advisable to visit the doctor immediately. If it is in the initial stages, then it can be cured easily and the doctor may suggest sleeping tablets for a few days. If the insomnia is severe, then the treatment process may be carried out for a year or more. Along with medication, the patient can follow a few other tips to improve on the sleeping habits:
- Fix the timings of sleeping. Try to go to bed at the same time daily and also get up at the same time even though you feel sleepy.
- Avoid using smartphones or any other gadgets at least 30 minutes before going to bed.
- If you wake up in between do not watch television or mobile phone but try to sleep again.
- Finish your meal an hour before sleeping time.
- Take a walk after the evening meal.
- Do not sleep during day hours.
- Indulge yourself in exercise or yoga daily for at least 20 minutes.
- Practice meditation and Sudarshan Kriya to calm your mind.
- Avoid taking caffeine, nicotine or liquor before going to bed.
- Try not to use your bed for anything other than sleeping or sex.
- Keep your bedroom neat and comfortable for resting.
- If you still get diverted towards your pending works while falling sleep, pen-down your tasks for the next day before going to bed so that you can avoid worrying about them.
Insomnia though appears not very critical in the initial stages, but it can result in serious health issues if neglected. If you too facing insomnia or if you know someone having this disease, do share their experiences on the effects and how they tried to overcome.